Common household batteries caused two separate bin collection truck fires in Wealden after sparks ignited the surrounding rubbish.
In one incident, a mobile phone battery exploded and caught fire. Thankfully no-one was hurt in either event, but there was significant service disruption to refuse and recycling collections.
Batteries and small electrical items of any kind pose a fire risk if placed in amongst rubbish and recycling.
The risk is much higher in hot weather.
To help us prevent future fires, please place them in a separate bag on top of either your rubbish or recycling bin for collection.
If you can remove batteries from items first please do so.
Please take any larger electrical items which don’t fit into a carrier bag to a Household Waste and Recycling Site.
A spokesperson said:
‘Our crews were very lucky this time and avoided serious injury. With your help, we can continue to keep both you and our refuse workers safe, and our services running to schedule. Thank you’