This is the moment the amazing Mikey Turner, just 17, reaches the finishing line.
It brought to an end his family’s incredible day of fundraising for Chailey Heritage Foundation, where Mikey lives.
Mikey led the family effort despite his rare genetic condition which affects only 30 people worldwide.
In fact, the whole family from Rusper, near Crawley, rose to the challenge – even sister Zoe, who is 9500 miles away, planting melons in Australia!
All the family challenges were completed yesterday, Sunday 31 May – the original date of the Focus 10k, which could not take place due to Covid 19.
- Mikey’s two challenges were to be in his ‘stander’ for 10 minutes and also to complete a 5k bike ride onsite at Chailey Heritage.
- Mum, Jenny, completed two 5k runs in one day, despite having never run that far before.
- Dad, Andrew, ran 10k and cycled 100 miles around the Sussex countryside.
- Sister, Zoe in Australia, ran 5k and also planted 5k of melon seeds on the farm where she is working.
- Sister, Gemma, completed ten 1-hour activities, including cycling, walking, cross trainer, Pilates and yoga.
Mum Jenny said: “After a busy day, as a team we achieved 162.4 miles, burned 10,000 calories, 26.5 hours of exercise and 1500 melons planted; we are all elated and exhausted.
“A big well done to Mikey and Chailey Heritage who have inspired us all.
“And finally, a huge thank to all our supporters.“
The family has raised almost£4000 for Chailey Heritage Foundation, which will be matched pound for pound by Focus Group, sponsors of the Focus 10k.
Chailey Heritage is a very special place for the family because it’s been home to Mikey now for four years. The family say they do an amazing job looking after him.
Mum, Jenny said:
“Chailey Heritage has been an absolute lifeline for us. We were really struggling back in 2016. Mikey’s needs had become more and more complex and he required a team of eight carers to provide care 24/7. We regard Chailey Heritage as an extension to our family”. You can still donate.
To sponsor the Turner family, go https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/turnerfamilyfocus10 or do your own challenge and set up your own JustGiving page at www.justgiving.com/chs
To find out more about the 10 Stay, go to https://www.chf.org.uk/Focus10K-update.html.