An exhibition entitled ‘Uckfield South of the River’ opened in Bridge Cottage on Saturday 25th January. Organised by Uckfield & District Preservation Society, it looks at the community that grew up in Framfield Road and New Town after the coming of the railway to Uckfield in 1857.
From next to nothing, a thriving residential and commercial community developed, and within living memory it was possible to buy everything you needed in the shops there, without coming to the High Street. Many of the shops have gone, but people still remember Bannister’s, Uckfield Laundry, the Lion Brewery, Tyhursts and the old fire station. These are commemorated in the exhibition, as well as Foresters Hall (where films were shown before the Picture House opened) and the various places of worship.
A feature of the exhibition is the railway itself. There are scale models of the original goods shed and the original steam locomotive that operated on the line.
The exhibition is open from 10-00 to 3-00, until Saturday 1 February. Admission is free, and a booklet containing further information is on sale for £2.50. An updated booklet on the coming of the railway is also for sale.
Mick Harker from The Uckfield and District Preservation Society spoke live on Uckfield FM
ALL IMAGES by RON HILL (HillPhotpgraphic)