AFC Uckfield Town progress to next round of the FA Vase

The teams observed a minutes silence before the game

**Update**  AFC Uckfield Town have been drawn at home to Sutton Common Rovers in the next round of the FA Vase on Saturday December 1st.

SCR play in the Premier Division of the Combined Counties League (teams mostly in Surrey), which I think is the same level as Uckfield.  They are currently third in their table and won their Vase game on Saturday 6-1. 

Lets hope the town get behind them!

AFC Uckfield Town were away to Croydon Athletic AFC in the FA Vase on Saturday. (Nov 3)

The game was full of incident with four Uckfield players and one Croydon player being sent off during the game.

The game started with Uckers one man down due to Dee Okojie suffering a puncture on his car on the way to the game.

There was a frenetic start to the game with Bailo Camara and Callum Smith looking to exploit their pace.

Croydon were employing a direct approach towards the Uckers goal and early exchanges were repelled by Steve Hickman and Sam Cooper.

The first goal for Uckers came after just 15 minutes when Dee Okojie was away down the right, he pulled back and the ball was thumped home at the second attempt by a joyful Ellis Cormack.  1-0 to Uckers.

The goal originated from a Bobby Moore like challenge by skipper Richie Welch and was superbly timed.

Just before half time the game became scrappy but ended at 1-0 for the half time break.

The second half started well for the Uckers with Bailo Camara forcing a at 48 minutes.

The second goal for Uckers came after 60 minutes when Callum Smith capitalised on long Louis Rogers kick and indecisiveness by Croydon defence.  It was truly a brilliant finish to make it 2-0.

At 72 minutes there was some interesting refereeing when he showed two red cards with Bailo Camara send off in mystifying circumstances at 72 minutes.

Goal scorer Callum Smith was hobbling around and he was replace by Shaun Loft.

At 75 minutes, Croydon Athletic scored – score 2-1 to Uckfield.

Uckers Ellis Cormack saw red and was dismissed by the referee for using his elbow and the team were down to 9 men.

With Uckers down to 9 men it started to become a little tougher with the opposition putting on a lot more pressure.  Louis Rogers made an amazing stop when he dived at the feet of a Croydon forward to tip the ball round the post for a corner.

Very shortly after, 2 more Uckers players saw red and were dismissed by the referee.

With just 7 men left on the pitch and Croydon with 10 it should have been easy for them to come back and at least get a draw.

However, some great rear guard work by the Uckers team and 5 minutes of extra time the team held out to win 2-1 and progress into the next round of the FA Vase.

Mike Skinner reported from the game at the end of the match:

The Uckfield man of the match was the skipper Richie Welch.  (Uckfield FM choice)

Manager Anthony Storey spoke to Mike Skinner when they arrived back in Uckfield:


1st goal – Ellis Cormack

In it goes – Callum Smith – 2-0


Big celebration

The team coach on the way home! Bring on the next round.

The next round will be drawn on Monday Nov 5th and played on the weekend of the 1st December.

The town team:-

Louis Rogers (GP), Matt Barbosa, Regan Smith, Steve Hickman, Sam Cooper, Richie Welch (c), Dee Okojie, Ellis Cormack, Callum Smith, Matt Mvlean, Bailo Camara.

Subs: Shaun Loft, Andy Hales, Ryan Welch, Dom Creese, Anthony Storey.


Images Mike Skinner