Rugby – A narrow win for Uckfield RFC

Uckfield welcomed Eastbourne  to Hemstead Fields on a surprisingly warm October’s day. Uckfield with a number of enforced changes through injury and holidays,started well marching the Eastbourne  pack back at every opportunity in the scrums and lineout.

Strong running from smart, Cheney and Payne kept the pressure on Eastbourne. With the constant attack, Uckfield found themselves 5 meters out from the Eastbourne line. A number of drives by the forwards was finished by scrumhalf Newcomb burrowing over for the try, converted by Buckland.

A yellow card followed to a Eastbourne player for repeated infringements around the ruck. Eastbourne came back fighting using there strong ball carriers to batter the Uckfield defence. Not long after the yellow card Eastbourne lost another player to a red card and  Uckfield then lost Scott to a yellow.

With both teams down on players Eastbourne kept there torrent of attack but couldn’t get a score. Uckfield then lost Statham to a yellow and  were down to 13 for the remainder of the 1st half.

Uckfield went in 7-0 up at half time.

Eastbourne started the 2nd half much how they finished the 1st, with powerful running and some cleaver kicking. Yet Uckfields defence held strong. Scott and Statham joined the game again after their 10minute break. A slipped tackle let Eastbourne run in for a try. Which was quickly followed by a second. 7-12 to Eastbourne.

Control the game well Newcomb and Buckland kept the pressure on Eastbourne, with some great kicking. As well as Evans being the thorn in the side of any opposition. Uckfield found themselves edging closer to the Eastbourne try line, eventually seeing Scott crash over to bring it level. A difficult conversion from Buckland saw Uckfield  into the lead 14-12 with only a few minutes left on the clock. Uckfield managed to hold onto the ball and see out the game for their 5th league win.

Next week 1XV head to rivals Burgess Hill for a 1500 kick off.


ALL IMAGES by Ron Hill (HillPhotographic)