The Belfry’s historic architecture saved

Photograph of The Belfry courtesy of Fine and Country Uckfield

The Belfry, a large house in New Town, Uckfield, built in 1892, has been awarded Grade II listed status.

Recently the property had been sold and a neighbour feared that some of its notable architectural features would be lost. The neighbour worked with Historic England to gain the listing. The Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport decided to add The Belfry, including its gate piers and gates, to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Until now there were no detached houses built between 1850 and 1914 in Uckfield that had been listed. Belfry House was built in 1892 and was designed by Lainson & Sons of Brighton. The client was a lawyer, Barclay Watson, who was acting for his sister, Mrs Dodd. The Dodd family lived there for around a hundred years. As a result, the property has survived with a good number of period features intact. Therefore, this late 19th century upper middle-class house provides much social history interest. More recently the building was used as boarding accommodation for a local school.

The building’s exterior architectural features include a moulded brick date plaque, ribbed chimneystacks, varied window types, turret with domed cupola, large wooden balcony, carved stone porch, and a cast iron Victorian gate with dog rail. The building is recognised for its high quality, well-preserved interior, including stained glass, tessellated floors and joinery, panelling, window seats, and fireplaces.

The Town Clerk commented: “The Town Council is very pleased to hear that Belfry House has received a grade II listing. It is a remarkable building and its architectural and social history importance will now be preserved for future generations. We would like to thank the local resident and Historic England for their help in securing the grading.”